Authoress: Clara Cannucciari with Christopher Cannucciari
Length: 184 pages; Mini hardcover
My say: Clara is a gem. No seriously a gem. If I ever meet her grandson Christopher I plan to tell him, "You did a beautiful thing by giving us a bit of your grandmother. Thank you."
My recommendation: Folks that enjoy memoirs, history, and tips on living well during "thin times" will enjoy this one.
Vegetarian Friendly? Absolutely. Meat was scarce during the Great Depression so most of the recipes and tips are meat free.
My favorite quotes & tips & bits:
- "You think you know about recycling? We invented it. We had to. We were desperate."
- "Things were much simpler back then, and we were stronger for it."
- "If you take better care of things, you can hold on to them longer."
- "It wasn't easy back then. But the lessons I learned, when money was tight and hard work and creativity was all we had, I have carried with me my entire life."
- "Today everything seems to happen so fast and it's hard to sit back and appreciate things."
- "Back then, you didn't buy whole books, you bought chapters."
- Recipe rating: 3 stars; Due to the time period the recipes are very simple.
- Ingredients rating: 5 stars; All the ingredients are cheap and easy to find.
- Story rating: 5 stars; This book is all about story. It's chock-full of pictures, stories, and tips entitled, "Take It From Me."
- Overall star rating: 4 stars
If you would like to learn more about Clara visit Depression Cooking on YouTube.com.
REVIEW COPYRIGHT © OF TALESOFWHIMSY.COM